Find all the best Museums and Heritage sites now with us….
The Städel, officially the Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie, is an art museum in Frankfurt am Main, with one of the most important collections in Germany. The Städel owns 2,700 paintings (of which 600 are displayed) and a collection of 100,000 drawings and prints as well as 600 sculptures. It has around 4,000 m² of display and a library of 100,000 books and 400 periodicals.
The Historical Museum in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, was founded in 1878, and includes cultural and historical objects relating to the history of Frankfurt and Germany. It moved into the Saalhof in 1955, and a new extension was opened in 1972. The museum’s collection is displayed in several permanent chronological exhibitions: Mediaeval Frankfurt, the Late Middle Ages, the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, the nineteenth-century city, and its history as a metropolis from 1866 to 2001. Special exhibitions are also on display.
The Naturmuseum Senckenberg in Frankfurt Am Main is the second largest museum of natural history in Germany. It is particularly popular with children, who enjoy the extensive collection of dinosaur fossils: Senckenberg boasts the largest exhibition of large dinosaurs in Europe. One particular treasure is a dinosaur fossil with unique, preserved scaled skin. The museum contains the world’s largest and most diverse collection of stuffed birds with about 2000 specimens.
Museum für Moderne Kunst
Iconic setting for more than 4,500 works from around the world, dating from 1960s to the present. The museum was designed by the Viennese architect Hans Hollein. Because of its triangular shape, it is called “piece of cake”.
Museum für Kommunikation Frankfurt
The Museum für Kommunikation is a communication museum in Frankfurt, Germany. It opened on January 31, 1958 under the name Bundespostmuseum and is the oldest museum on Frankfurt’s Museumsufer. The museum was owned by Deutsche Bundespost until 1994.
Museum der Weltkulturen
The Museum of World Cultures is an ethnological museum in Frankfurt, Germany. Until 2001 it was called the Museum of Ethnology.
The Goethe House is a writer’s house museum in the Innenstadt district of Frankfurt am Main, Germany. The original building was the family residence of the Goethe family, most notably Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, until 1795.
Museum für angewandte Kunst Frankfurt
The Museum Angewandte Kunst is located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany and part of the Museumsufer. As a place of discovery, the Museum Angewandte Kunst focusses on the perception of currents and developments in society with a special emphasis on design, fashion and the performative element.
German Architecture Museum (GAM)
The German Architecture Museum is located on the Museumsufer in Frankfurt, Germany. Housed in an 18th-century building, the interior has been re-designed by Oswald Mathias Ungers in 1984 as a set of “elemental Platonic buildings within elemental Platonic buildings”. The museum organises several temporary exhibitions every year, as well as conferences, symposia and lectures. It has a collection of ca. 180,000 architectural drawings and 600 models, including works by modern and contemporary classics like Erich Mendelsohn, Mies van der Rohe, Archigram and Frank O. Gehry. It also includes a reference library with approximately 25,000 books and magazines.
The Frankfurt Art Association is an art museum founded in 1829 by a group of influential citizens of the city of Frankfurt, Germany. The aim of the institution is to support the arts in the city, which was an important center of trade and business.
|Städel||Historisches Museum||Naturmuseum Senckenberg|
|Museum für Moderne Kunst||Museum für Kommunikation Frankfurt||Museum der Weltkulturen|
|Goethe House||Museum für angewandte Kunst Frankfurt||German Architecture Museum (GAM)|
Old opera house
The original opera house in Frankfurt is now the Alte Oper, a concert hall and former opera house in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It was inaugurated in 1880 but destroyed by bombs in 1944. It was rebuilt, slowly, in the 1970s, opening again in 1981. Frankfurt Opera is now in a modern building nearby, next door to Schauspiel Frankfurt (drama). Many important operas were performed for the first time in Frankfurt, including Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana in 1937.
Old Nicholas Church
The Old St Nicholas Church in Frankfurt, Germany, is a Lutheran medieval church. It is located near the Römer city hall in Frankfurt’s old town called Altstadt. It has 51 bells; 4 are used for peals and 47 are used for carillons. The first chapel on its site was built in mid-12th century, the current church dates from the middle of the 15th century. Its congregation forms part of today’s Protestant Church in Hesse and Nassau, comprising Lutheran, Reformed and United Protestant congregations.
The Goethe Tower is a 43-metre high tower built entirely out of wood on the northern edge of Frankfurt City Forest located in Sachsenhausen. After the Jahrtausendturm, the two towers of the Brück aerial testing facility, the Blumenthal Observation Tower, and the Linsen Tower, it is the fifth tallest wooden construction in Germany, due to the addition of two antenna measuring stations.
Eschenheimer Turm was a city gate, part of the late-medieval fortifications of Frankfurt am Main, and is a landmark of the city. The tower, which was erected at the beginning of the fifteenth century, is at once the oldest and most unaltered building in the largely reconstructed Frankfurter Neustadt (new town), now better known as the Frankfurt–Innenstadt
The Staufenmauer was an old city wall of Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It was built in 1180 under the Hohenstaufen rule to protect the city from attack and surround the present Altstadt. When the city was expanded in 1333, the old wall became a victim of efforts to reorganize the city defenses. Today one can still see a small portion along the Fahrgasse, a part that was restored after the 18th century fire in the Jewish Ghetto.
The Dreikönigskirche is a Lutheran parish church in Frankfurt. It is located on the bank of the Main River. This is a Protestant parish church. In 1340 the Gothic hospital chapel was consecrated. From 1875-1881 the chapel was demolished and construction of Neo-Gothic hall church completed. It is five-bay, with a vaulted main nave, extended in the middle by side naves with impressive stone galleries.The Master Cathedral Builder was Franz Joseph von Denzinger. In 1956 the stained glass window by Charles Crodel was installed. In 1961 a new organ was installed by organ maker Karl Schuke.
|Old opera house||Old Nicholas Church||Goethe Tower|